BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING AGENDA
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
46650 Landing Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
Directions: Driving South on 880, take the Mission Blvd/Warren Ave Exit.
Continue on W. Warren and turn right on Landing Pkwy.
Driving North on 880, take the Gateway Blvd Exit. Continue on Gateway Blvd
and turn right on Bayside Pkwy. Bayside turns into Landing Pkwy
I. Food and Beverage—6 PM
II. Call to Order—6:30 PM
III. Introduction of Guests
IV. Public Comments-10 minutes, 2 minutes per speaker
V. Approval of Minutes
VI. Treasurer’s Report
A. Monthly Financial Statements (Green)
B. Monthly Grants (Red)
VII. Committee Decisions/Reports (Yellow)
VIII. Executive Committee Activity
IX. Action Items (Blue)
A. Distribution of the USTA NorCal Board Meeting Minutes
B. USTA NorCal Volunteer Travel Assistance Policy—USTA Annual and
X. President’s Report
XI. Delegate’s Report
XII. Executive Director’s Report
XIII. Old Business
XIV. New Business
XV. Adjournment of Meeting
Next Regular Meeting: Tentatively scheduled for Wed., Feb. 15 at a site to be determined (SAP Open Week).
January 2006 A
Title: Distribution of the USTA NorCal Board Meeting Minutes
Presenter(s): Jean Hassoun, Secretary, Deb Petersen, Rosie Bareis
Statement of Action Item:
Define the process of distributing the USTA NorCal Board meeting minutes (Web posting and/or other means) so they will only be distributed after their approval by the Board.
Rationale for Action:
No one person (e.g. the secretary of the Board) can guaranty the minutes to reflect properly the events and decisions during a board meeting until after they have been reviewed, corrected and approved by the board.
Unapproved minutes can be misinterpreted and cause much confusion about the events and decisions being reported.
Fiscal Impact: None
Staff Comments: None
January 2006 B
USTA NorCal Volunteer Travel Assistance Policy -
USTA Annual and Semi-Annual Meetings
Presenters: Jean Hassoun, Deb Petersen and Rosie Bareis
Action Item Prepared by Andrea Norman and modified by Jean Hassoun
Statement of Action Item:
Effective January 1, 2006, the attached USTA NorCal Volunteer Travel Assistance Policy for reimbursement of expenses related to travel to the USTA Annual Meeting and the USTA Semi-Annual Meeting be adopted.
The attached USTA NorCal Volunteer Travel Assistance Policy for reimbursement of expenses related to travel to the USTA Annual Meeting and the USTA Semi-Annual Meeting is in the same form as was adopted by the Board in July 2005, with two exceptions:
1. The expiration date of December 31, 2005 has been removed; and
2. The maximum reimbursed stay is changed from 5 to 6-night stay to match the normal duration of a semi-annual meeting (see staff comment).
The rational for the continuation of this policy remains the same as originally presented:
• Dedicated volunteers should not be required to spend such a significant amount of their personal financial resources to attend the USTA Annual and Semi-Annual Meetings
• Reducing the financial barriers to participation on the national level may open up the opportunity for persons of more limited financial resources to apply for and receive national committee appointments
• Networking and relationship building that occurs among our own volunteers and
between our volunteers and staff can be a crucial component in USTA NorCal
accomplishing its goals to grow the game of tennis
• The opportunity to bring new ideas learned back to USTA NorCal to grow the game of tennis as well as for USTA NorCal to showcase the strides it is making toward growing the game
• Increased participation by NorCal at the national level affirms our presence and value to the Association as a whole, builds respect for our contribution to the Association, and can lead to additional appointments on the national committees, appointments to committee chair and vice chair positions, task forces, division council chair positions, and election to the Nominating Committee and the Board of Directors
In 2006, no additional fiscal impact will be incurred as the Board adopted in November 2005 a budget that incorporates $20,000 that is dedicated to travel assistance as outlined in the policy.
The number of nights should still be five instead of six because the sixth night is needed only by the Section President, Delegate and Executive Director. Their expenses are covered by USTA White Plains. All section volunteers could complete their business with five nights of rooming.